• Casa de Calhariz

    Casa Redonda with museum and event space

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Palace chapel

  • Casa de Calhariz

    General view of the estate

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Vineyard and Buxo garden

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Lion fountain

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Dukes of Palmela palace

  • Casa de Calhariz

    General view of the estate and the Dukes of Palmela palace

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Trevo fountain

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Trevo fountain

  • Casa de Calhariz

    General view of the estate and the Dukes of Palmela palace

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Dukes of Palmela palace

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Lion fountain

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Vineyard and Buxo garden

  • Casa de Calhariz

    General view of the estate

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Palace chapel

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Casa Redonda with museum and event space

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Casa Redonda com espaço museológico e de eventos

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Capela do Palácio

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Vista geral da quinta

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Jardim do Buxo e vinha

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Fonte dos Leões

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Palácio dos Duques de Palmela

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Vista geral da quinta e do Palácio dos Duques de Palmela

  • Casa de Calhariz

    Fonte do Trevo

Other Calhariz Estate Activities

 

The heritage of centuries

 

The past is a constant presence at Quinta de Calhariz. Here, there is history everywhere, in every place we go to, and in every rock you see. Since pre-historic settlements of the Bronze and Iron Ages, from the Phoenician and Roman times to more recent periods of the Middle Ages, Renaissance and Baroque , there was always a constant occupation of this location, known today as Quinta de Calhariz - which has been owned by the same family since the 15th century.

In order to have a better understanding of the history of Quinta de Calhariz, here is a brief chronology of the main events and the construction of the most important architectural buildings of the property.

 

Traces of occupation of the Land of Calhariz

 

5 000 - 3 000 b.C. (Neolithic)

Occupation of the first farming and grazing communities, in the Land of Calhariz, which corresponds to the menhir of Vale da Palha.

 

2 000 - 800 b.C. (Bronze Age)

Occupation of the Land of Calhariz, during the Bronze Age, with a large piece of land, to which corresponds the funerary monument or dolmen of Roça do Casal do Meio.

 

700 b.C. - 200 b.C (Iron Age)

Arrival of sailors of Eastern Mediterranean, with traces of a sanctuary at Lapa da Cova.

 

100 b.C.- 500 a.C. (Roman Period)/h3>

Roman farming in the Land of Calhariz, with existing remains of a house at Vale da Palha..

 

Chronology of the Palace

 

1483

D. Gil Vaz da Cunha bought the land of Calhariz from the heirs of master Joane, nobleman of the House of the Duke of Beja (brother of the king), for “two lives”. A large house already existed, but it suffered some changes throughout the 16th century.

 

1504

On May 4th, King D. Manuel I granted the estate for another “four lives”, and on July 14th of that same year, Lady Maria da Silva (daughter and heiress of D. Gil Vaz da Cunha) established the Entail of Calhariz.

 

Beginning of the 16th century

Construction of the first chapel of Calhariz, with a circular floor plan (today used as museum where you will find “A Arrábida, a Quinta de Calhariz e a Casa Palmela” exhibition).

 

1693

The architect João Rodrigues Mouro, who built most of the forts on the Arrábida’s coast, on 1653-54, makes the project of a three floor hydraulic mill at Rio do Olho.

 

1665

The main house at “Quinta de Calhariz”, which dates back to the 15th century, underwent deep transformations, at the time of of D. Francisco de Souza (1630-1711), and it was at this same time when the present chapel was built, incorporated as part of the house. The works were financed by his brother, D. João de Souza, and by his nephew, D. Luís de Souza. Pope Innocent XI grants D. Luís de Souza the official avail for use of the chapel, which was dedicated to St. Francis. The garden also dates from this period.

 

1805

D. Pedro de Souza e Holstein, ordered Canova the funerary stela for his father, who is buried at “Sant'Antonio dei Portoghesi”’s church in Rome.

 

1850

D. Pedro de Souza e Holstein dies in Lisbon. As a tribute, his children raised a tholos in the forest next to the buxus gardens, which is said to have been designed by architect Giuseppe Cinátti.

 

1857

Writer Alexandre Herculano took up residence at “Quinta de Calhariz”, which he rented from D. Domingos de Souza e Holstein, dedicating himself to the productions of beets, olive oil, wool, rice and silk.

 

1957

Queen Elizabeth II of England came for lunch at Calhariz.

 

1959

Princess Margaret, sister of Queen Elizabeth II visited “Quinta de Calhariz”.

 

Século XXI

“Quinta de Calhariz” is presently involved in several projects varying from forestry to tourism, including vineyards, livestock, agriculture and environmental, equestrian and cultural tourism.

 

 
 

Loading the color...